The Pentagon desires to build one satellite per week. They are currently requesting factories to offer under its strategies to orbit seven new constellations, each having a different function, by the end of the year 2020.
The satellites would be slighter weighing just a few hundred kilograms, less costly with about $10 million each and shorter-lived for about five years than the current distinctive military satellites that weigh tons and eat billions of dollars but that are anticipated to function for decades.
Derek Tournear, who is the director of the Space Development Agency, confirmed during a briefing at the Pentagon on Tuesday that they are conversing about the skill that is accessible to hover within 18 to 24 months.
Labeled the National Defense Space Architecture, the platform is the first huge Tourneur’s initiative fresh agency. He stated that numerous dozens of satellites through the year 2022 and then keep moving, hurling dozens of extra satellites every two years.
The first NDSA satellites would enhance the ability of the military to detect and fire objects like surface to air projectile launchers. Others would sense and trail supersonic projectiles and pas the statistics to earthbound missile interceptors. He continued to state that in the 2026 fiscal year, they would have full world coverage.
The Space Development Agency Tuesday reported that seven of the new constellations it intends to create. They comprise:
- Transport: Dependable communications between the United States of America forces all over the world.
- Battle Management: To offer expertise and control.
- Tracking: To discover and track foe missiles, including supersonic ones.
- Custody: To keep checks on the rival ground launchers and other movable targets.
- Navigation: To supplement or replace GPS.
- Deterrence: To discourage unfriendly action in ‘deep space’ such as from geosynchronous orbit of Earth to the lunar surface.
- Support: To link ground-based satellite systems, with launchers in inclusive.
The Pentagon stated that it would start petitioning bids for the initial of the new satellites in the “late spring” and reward agreements in the summer.
Tournear stated that he is seeking for syndicates that are going to offer them the right solution that they can trust their cost and set metrics. He said that he is open to all supporters.
The formation of the Space Development Agency that is now part of the Office of the Secretary of Defense has been contentious.